Monday, December 8, 2008

reflective letter

I came into writing 101 not to worried about not doing well in the class. I had always been good at writing and attended honors writing classes in junior high and high school. After the first couple of weeks I received my first essay assignment, and I realized that this writing was not what I had been used to. I felt as if I was almost starting over. The skills that I had learned growing up were not of any use in this class. I saw my writing skills change drastically between the two formal essay assignments that I had accomplished through the course of the year.

This essay was a transition for me between the simple five paragraph essay i wrote in high school, and the essays we wrote using "They Say, I Say." I really liked using "They Say, I Say" as sort of a template for my essay. It was a great way to organize my thoughts on the comments of someone else, and the information given. My writing philosophy still stays the same and is applied to everything I write. The new way of writing that I have learned from using "They Say, I Say" is just a way to organize the skills from my writing philosophy.At the start of Bacon's Rebellion I didn't have a very good understanding about what really went on in this event. Even after the wiki entry, I wasn't 100% confident, but after all the research and critical thinking I had to do to complete this essay I felt that I gained a much better understanding of what really happened. Before this essay I didn't feel like my view on Bacon's Rebellion was correct, but i came to learn that everyone has their own view and it is their interpretation.

Since the time of the previous essay up to now, I have improved greatly. I'm not sure if it is because I handled my time wisely, or because I gained better writing skills. It is probably a combination of both. I kept on track with the schedule Craig planned out for us, and it really helped with my time management problem. I liked the way Craig gave us the schedule of due dates throughout the essay time period before hand. That really helped me keep myself going in the right direction with the time we had to accomplish the goals of the essay. This time, with essay #2, I felt like I had a hard time getting started with the outline. This was true because the research was difficult. I wasn’t finding any good information online on the databases, so to solve my problem I went to the library. The books I gathered were filled with information about my colony specifically. The books and the primary documents were great sources for my essay. I found that because I wrote my rough draft early on, I had a lot of time to edit and revise. This worked well in creating an essay that I was proud of.

3 comments:

megannn said...

-i really liked your first paragraph, its a great introduction.
-be sure to include quotes from your actual essays to support your points of weakness and strength.
-your letter seems very well structured and you have good points and reasons, you just need concrete support to add to the legitimacy of the letter.
-good start! :)

Emily said...

-I liked your honesty.
-Don't forget to add quotes to support your strengths or weaknesses.
-I like how you talked about some skills that are being developed. That makes it interesting.
-You might want to add a conclusion to wrap it up.

Very good! just need to make a few minor adjustments.

Katherine said...

I like your introduction paragraph. It gets right to the point of this paper and states the topic/theme of the paper. I noticed that you didn't have any quotes from your writing to back up your statements. Make sure that you add them. I also wanted to make sure that you add in your weaknesses and how you improved them. But, you have great points that support you're strengths. Your rough draft is coming along pretty well. Great job!!