Thursday, December 11, 2008

Portfolio: Final Exam

Frame II

The minds of many students have different views and opinions that when put together create a master piece. The writer of this article had a view that when students have the opportunity to share their thoughts and ideas on a piece of work, such as an essay, they wont get stuck in the writing process. According to the writer, there are many steps to the writing process, and one student tends to find themselves lost in this process. When this happens, the solution presented by the author is to talk to a peer whom they think has the ability to help. Many peers working together not only privileges the students, but it also brings out the creativity that longs to come when all the minds are put together. Groups working together to master the writing process works beautifully when the creativity between many minds comes through on paper. The concept of working in groups privileges the students with creativity presented by this author has been found true, with exceptions, in my writing experience this quarter in writing 101.

In my experiences as a writing 101 student, I have come to realize that I cannot create a essay that I am proud of without the help of other students. Their has been assignments given to me that require group effort throughout the quarter. I was assigned with a group of students to create a article for a wikipedia page. When the project was first assigned, I was not to sure I understood what was expected of my group and I. Before getting together with the members of my group I had many questions running through my head about what the outcome should look like. The four other members of my group also seemed to have questions about the project. Once my group got together, all our questions were resolved, and the process we had to take to create a wikipedia page was then clear. One student doesn’t know everything, but with the minds of many a lot can be answered.

I tried many times to create an essay that I felt proud of, but it never seemed to work when I attempted to do it by myself. Something was always missing. I found the missing ingredient when I was given peer review. My work needed to be looked at by the students in my class, so I could find the piece of the writing process I missed. When writing my essays I felt as if their was something I needed to edit or change. I found the help I needed in my peer reviews, and the reviews that my mother helped me with. I went to the students and asked for their thoughts and comments on my paper, but that was just the first step. I felt as if there was something missing, so I turned to my mom to read my essays. She too found flaws in my writing process, and helped me to correct them.

This view on the writing process, wasn’t always the case when working in a group project. Besides the project that I had mentioned earlier I was placed in a group where the creativity contribution wasn’t there. The assignment was to create an outline and present a debate, but I felt like I was the only one working. I needed more of a participation from the other members of my group, but they were not giving me any help on the outline. They were far from contributing to the outcome that was required. The view on writing that was presented through this article does not always apply to the writing process. Group assignments only work to the full extent when everyone in the group participates.

Writing takes a group effort to create a piece of work that you are proud of. There are many steps to the writing process, and when you find yourself stuck you can turn to your peers for guidance. The group participation all depends on the help you receive. Even so, group work not only privileges the students, but also enhances the creativity that comes along with many minds.

No comments: